Thursday, March 1, 2018

March M.O.D.O.K. Madness 2018 - Part 1

March M.O.D.O.K. Madness 2018
(Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing)


Greetings!  It's March, so that means it's time again for submissions to the March M.O.D.O.K. Madness Blog!

So, while some people's minds begin to turn toward thoughts of Spring, mine begins to grind away at trying to think of submissions for everyone's favorite Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing.

I can't help that some of you have misplaced priorities...

* * *


STEP ONE:  This was just a quick, scribbled idea in a sketchbook with a ballpoint pen.  Originally, I intended to have the letters toppled and jumbled as from the Mindblast, but realized it would be a bit of a pain in the butt, so changed it to letters on an arch. 

* * *


STEP TWO:  Here was a vague drawing of the sketch, which I did in Photoshop on a 1,500px x 1,650px canvas at 300dpi.  Since the view of M.O.D.O.K. was straight on and symmetrical, I cheated a bit by just drawing the left-half, then copying and flipping it over to the right-side.  Yeah, sinister, I know!  (I'm sure there's nothing more clever than a left-handed, Latin joke.)

* * *


STEP THREE:  Here is the initial start of coloring the drawing.  I included a rainbow gradient just because it was there and thought it would look cool.  However, for this particular choice, the problem was the purple on the left side would be too close to the purple of M.O.D.O.K.'s arm, and the orange on the right side would be too close to the orange of his chair/headband.  So, bleh on that!  Also, the head just didn't seem right for him, either--he needed to have a bigger forehead.

* * *


STEP FOUR:  I started goofing off with a new program along side Photoshop, Painter 2018.  I found a pretty handy symmetry tool which allows you to digitally paint the same thing on both halves of the painting.  So, I got to "cheat" again but just painting on one side of the painting and having it show up on the other side at the same time.  Nice!  I finished all the digital painting, added the lettering and the glowy bits, and changed the rainbow gradient.  And, of course, added the bad pun on "Technicolor (R)" as "Techno-Color".  

I'm witty like that.  Well, half-so, anyways...

* * *

Done digitally with Photoshop and Painter 2018.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment