Tuesday, September 25, 2018

O.M.A.C. / Charles M. Schulz Mash-Up

O.M.A.C. / Charles M. Schulz Mash-Up
Page Recreation of O.M.A.C. #1 by Jack Kirby



For absolutely no reason at all (well, other than it amuses me), here's a page recreation of pages 4 and 5 from O.M.A.C. issue #1.  It's a mash-up of Jack Kirby's O.M.A.C. (One-Man Army Corps) as I imagine how it would be done by Charles Schulz.

O.M.A.C. is one of the more esoteric DC characters that pulls my interest for some reason.  To be honest, like many Kirby creations, it isn't the best written, but there is a glittering idea bomb within which appeals to me.  Something darkly satiric and psychological beneath the veneer of super-heroes and bad guys punching each other and punctuated with explosions.  In the case of this issue, it is robot decoys which would be used to seduce and assassinate world leaders.

And, yes, I know the Little Red-Haired Girl has a name, Heather Wold.  But, as that is relatively obscure, I figured it would cause more confusion to use "Heather" as a substitute for the name "Lila", and stuck with "Little Red-Haired Girl".

For fun, here's the original pages from O.M.A.C. #1 by Jack Kirby:



I decided not to include the various steps used in creating the pages, as it would be quite a long, boring list.  But, it was done digitally in Clip Studio Paint using LOTS of layers, and with some of the dot/moire pattern filters done in Photoshop.  I also did some discoloration and cracked paper texture effects to give it an artificially aged look.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment