Friday, June 26, 2020

Star Wars Sketchbook - Stormtroopers: "Look, Sir, Droids!"

Stormtroopers:
"Look, Sir, Droids!"


OK, I'm probably a moron (oh, I just **NOW** realized that?) for starting down this path, but here are pages 1-2 of the newly designated "Star Wars Sketchbook".  I always liked the "Look, sir, droids!" scene, so figured I'd do that one, next.  It probably has to do with the background Dewbacks--well, also foreground Dewbacks in the New Edition(s).  I found them cool when I was a kid (and still do), and always really liked the Star Wars card with a Stormtrooper on a Dewback.  I guess I should have just done a painting of that Star Wars card, I guess?  Oh, well, maybe next time.  I still have 25 Double-Pages/50 Single-Pages left to make that painting, if I so choose.

Now, for the next point in this decision tree...  Should I keep just doing drawings/paintings from "Star Wars: Episode Four: A New Hope", or scenes from other "Star Wars" movies, as well.  Hmmmm...  I'm thinking it will be all from "A New Hope".  Find out next week!  :-D

* * *


STEP ONE:  Here is the double-page spread in the Sketchbook.  It was primed with casein fixative and acrylic paint, then used a blue-violet colored pencil to draw the rough placement of the Stormtroopers.

* * *


STEP TWO:  This was the first pass with acrylic paint.  The background Stormtrooper and Escape Pod were moved up a little bit, as the placement was a bit awkward as compared to the foreground Trooper holding the... whatever the heck that thing is.

The palette was relatively simple: Titanium White, Carbon Black, Payne's Grey, Naples Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Raw Umber, King's Blue, Ultramarine Blue, and Anthraquinone Blue.

* * *


STEP THREE:  And here's the final painting, done with lots of finagling, going back and forth with different paint colors and values.  

* * *

Done with Acrylic Paint on 8-1/2" x 11" Stillman & Brin Mixed Media (140#) paper.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment