Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Sketchbook Cover - Greedo

Greedo


I happened to get a couple nicer watercolor sketchbooks on clearance and figured I should doodle something on the cover so I know which side to open.  Hey, how 'bout... [very, very, very long pause].  Oh, heck, I can't think of anything--I'll just do one of Greedo.  Why  not?

So, that's the story of how I decided to do an acrylic painting on the cover of the sketchbook.  However, now that has given me a bit of a dilemma.

There are 26 sheets of paper in the sketchbook, which is 52 pages.  Which also just so happens to be the number of weeks in a year.  You may already see where I am thinking of going with this.  Part of me thinks it would be a great idea to do another stupid challenge to myself--hey, Dummy, how 'bout a painting a week for the whole year in the sketchbook?  Hmmm, I dunno about that, it seems like a pretty big commitment.  I already have "31 Days of Hell-O-Ween" in October to think about.  Should I add more to that?  Probably not... but that hasn't ever really stopped me before.

Also, what would I paint on all those pages?  Should I keep going with all "Star Wars" characters?  Or broaden it out just a little bit to all Science Fiction movies in general?  Decisions, decisions...

I guess y'all will find out what I decide shortly after I do.  Or something like that.

Anyhoo, here's the Work in Progress for this painting!

* * *


STEP ONE Hey, it's a sketchbook on clearance!

* * *


STEP TWO:  I coated the cover with a mix of Matte Medium and Casein fixative to give the Acrylic paint something to stick to.  I figured, since the cover was a darker blue, to do the painting as a monochrome painting, with the palette consisting of: Titanium White, Carbon Black, and Ultramarine Blue.  Here's the first pass with a large, 1/2" flat brush and a No. 12 Round.

* * *


STEP THREE:  And here's the finished painting.  A lot more modeling and texture added to the face, and just general adding of detail.  I did add my name in Photoshop, 'cuz I realized a little too late I forgot to sign it.  Oh, well.

* * *


STEP FOUR:  And, just to add the symmetry from the Step One, here it is in hand after I just finished spraying it with Krylon UV-Protective Fixative.  Weird how a lot of the blue color was lost on the phone pic; I guess I'll blame the fluorescent lighting.  Now for the difficult part: Trying to figure out what to do next with the sketchbook with all those blank pages!  Hmmmm....

* * *

Done with Acrylic Paint on 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" cover.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment