Friday, February 10, 2012

The Breakfast Club (Booberry)

BooBerry


Continuing on with the re-imagining of the Monster Cereal characters, here's BooBerry.  I pictured him as more of an undead zombie/ghost in a rumpled fedora and bow tie.  Again, no real photo references and, again, it probably shows.

Here's the process for those who are interested... And, if you aren't, why are you still reading this?  :-)

* * * * *


STEP ONE:  Once more, I used a mixture of gesso and size (glue) on a 5" x 7-1/2" piece of Crescent 102 illustration board (I have a bunch of 10" x 15" pieces that I cut into quarters).  I then used vine charcoal and carbon pencil to draw out BooBerry.  To give it more of a ghostly/ethereal look to it, I left a few more lost and softened edges, and also left many areas in low contrast.  Once it was done, I scanned it into my computer and imported it into PhotoShop. 

* * * * *


STEP TWO:  In PhotoShop, I created a new layer set to "Multiply" and did a linear gradient from a lighter blue on the bottom to a darker blue on the top. 

* * * * *


STEP THREE:  Next, I did some highlights with white and light blue on the gradient layer, along with some darker blue shadows.  Finally, I created a new layer on top set to "Normal" and used white to push some highlights on his face.

* * * * *

This was done with charcoal and carbon pencil on a 5" x 7-1/2" Crescent 102 illustration board, then colored digitally in PhotoShop.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment