Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Celestials (Eson)

CELESTIALS - Eson the Searcher



Here is the entry in the Marvel Handbook.

* * * * *


I really like the visual of Eson the Searcher--the helmet he wears looks like he has six eyes.  I'm not so sure about his color scheme of brick red and lime-green, through.  :-)

* * * * *


STEP ONE:  I pencilled the image on a 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" piece of cardstock with a .5mm mechanical pencil with 2B lead. 

* * * * *


STEP TWO:  The inks are done with a .3mm Copic Marker for the outlines, with a brush and ink to add a little more line weight.  I then scanned it into Photoshop and cleaned the line work up a bit.

* * * * *


STEP THREE:  Once cleaned up in Photoshop, I copied the layer and set it to MULTIPLY to color it.

* * * * *

This was done with pen-and-ink on 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" cardstock and colored in Photoshop.

.

4 comments:

  1. Great job on all of these Celestials. Really outstanding and sharp looking. They look like they could have on the day they were first printed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Paul, :-)

      THANKS for the kind words! They are MUCH appreciated!

      Personally, my Celestial drawings are a little more "cartoony" than I intended, as I thought they were going to be reprinted a lot smaller on the site and most detail would be lost.

      I'm sure I will come back to doing something with the Celestials again; they are such incredibly cool characters and hold a strong pull in my imagination.

      Delete
  2. Hey there nice art work will you be doing the rest of the Celestials I believe there are 21 of them you did 10 Thank you Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Guy, :-)

      THANKS for the compliments! I did the 10 posted here for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: REDUX EDITION Blog. These were the only Celestials included in the original entry for OHotMU (it was published waaaayyy back in the mid-1980's, kids!).

      However, the Celestials are just too cool not to do something else with them and I will be doing more art with the Celestials in the near future. I want to include Exitar the Exterminator, Devron the Experimenter, and the Dreaming Celestial for sure, and some other ones. Maybe even some of the Alternate Reality ones from Hickman's run on the "Fantastic Four".

      If you're interested, I also did a painting of Arishem for a Repaneled page of "Eternals #7, Page 18" here:
      http://johndouglasart.blogspot.com/2011/11/replaneled-eternals-7-page-18.html

      Delete