Friday, September 7, 2012

Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Celestials (Gammenon)

CELESTIALS: Gammenon the Gatherer


Here is the entry from the Marvel Handbook

* * * * *


Once again, a slightly simplified version, given the size constraints of both the entry, and the paper I was working on (5-1/2" x 8-1/2" cardstock).

 * * * * *


STEP ONE:  Here are the pencils.  I drew this with a 2B .5mm mechanical pencil.  For some reason, the pencils always seem better to me than the inked/finished work.  I think it has to do with the varying intensity and levels of gray for the pencil lines.  Also, as the pencil work is a bit more sketchy, leaving more for your brain to finish the picture--you choose which lines to emphasize, as opposed to the inked line.  Or, maybe it's just that I'm not all that great at inking, yet.

All of 'em are true, no doubt, to varying degrees.  :-)

* * * * *


STEP TWO:  Then I inked the pencils with a .3 Copic Marker and went back over parts that needed extra line-weight with a No. 5 brush and Speedball Superblack. 

* * * * *


STEP THREE:  Once scanned into PhotoShop, I created a new MULTIPLY Layer and colored it.  Again, I kept all the colors simple--both for the cool, 80's retro feel, and because, well, I have eight more entries to try and get done in the next week-and-a-half.  :-D

* * * * *

This was done with pen-and-ink on 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" cardstock and colored in PhotoShop.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment