Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Mini-Paint: Death Star Droid Action Figure

Action Figure Painting:
Death Star Droid (3B6-RA-7 Protocol/Spy Droid)


For no reason at all, here's a watercolor/gouache painting of an action figure I owned as a kid: the Death Star Droid (although, he was actually seen on the Jawa's Sandcrawler on Tatooine, so... Sandcrawler Droid?).  It's been a while since I've done a "Quick Paint", and no real reason I shouldn't do more of 'em, now that I think of it.

My Mom was doing some spring cleaning, going through a bunch of old action figures we owned as kids and, when I was visiting, I saw the Death Star Droid action figure and felt like painting something shiny.  So, here we are.

* * *


STEP ONE:  Here are the pencils done with a .5mm mechanical pencil on 6" x 9" Canson XL watercolor paper.

* * *


STEP TWO:  Here is the quick under-painting, done in about 20-30 minutes.  I kept the palette very limited--Carbon Black, Titanium White, Yellow Ochre, and Ultramarine Blue.

* * *


STEP THREE:  And here's the finished painting, with a total time of about 4 hours... much longer than I intended.  One of the problems with painting something so shiny is that because I was a moron, I just held it in one hand and painted with the other (I needed it close enough to properly see the detail of what I was painting).  So, any little turn or change in position in my hand, caused a significant change in the lighting/highlights with the action figure.  Sigh...

* * *

Done with watercolor/gouache on 6" x 9" Canson XL watercolor paper.

.

2 comments:

  1. I was looking for a photo of this robot for an article when your painting arrived in the search results. It's really cool that someone is thinking of painting this robot that has always fascinated me despite his short appearances in the movie. I started painting less than a year ago and have done a few star wars character canvases even though it was not my main niche. Thanks for sharing this painting. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello There! :-)

      Thanks for your kind words--they are much appreciated! I always liked many of the weirder, background characters in "Star Wars"--those with just a few moments of screen time.

      Of course, it's also weird to see my drawings/paintings show up in Search Results for anything. So, I guess that's cool, too!

      Again, thanks so much. Best of luck on your paintings!

      John D.

      Delete