Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Pan's Labyrinth Starring David Bowie

Pan's Labyrinth Starring David Bowie


OK, this was an obvious mash-up of the Pale Man from "Pan's Labyrinth" and The Pale Duke, David Bowie, as Jareth from "Labyrinth".  I've had on my list of things to do for a while and given the recent news of Bowie's death, I figured I'd do it as a tribute.

I was a fan of his music, as well as acting.

* * *


STEP ONE: I did the digital pencils on a 1,000px x 1,400px canvas at 200dpi.

* * *


STEP TWO:  Next I laid down some rough values with a grayscale over-painting.  I really liked the sketchiness of the drawing at this point and almost left it at this stage and was tempted to just finish it as a black-and-white drawing.

* * *


STEP THREE:  After creating a MULTIPLY Layer, I laid down some flat coloring and decided to keep going with color.

* * *


STEP FOUR:  I created a bunch of NORMAL Layers--one for hands, one for the face, one of the hair, one for the clothes, etc. and added highlights and shadows to the flat color layer with a Oil Pastel brush in Photoshop.  And, yeah, I decided not to include Bowie's blown out pupil on his left eye (it looked--no pun intended--a little distracting).

* * *

This was done digitally in Photoshop.

.

1 comment:

  1. I like David Bowie, mostly for his music. I'm Afraid of Americans has got to one of the best music videos I've ever seen.

    I was woefully ignorant of how many films Bowie acted in. The only one I could name is Labyrinth.

    ReplyDelete