Wednesday, January 27, 2016

OMAC (One Man Army Corps)

O.M.A.C. (One Man Army Corps)


I know I've spoken before about my extreme fondness for the Kirby created, Mohawk-wearing warrior of tomorrow, O.M.A.C. (One Man Army Corps), and even use the Charles M. Schultz mash-up of O.M.A.C. for my avatar both here and at work.  Originally, I was going to use O.M.A.C. for a New Year's picture, with the iris/pupil "O" in the eye on his chest being the "0" in 2016, but his expression seemed a little on the serious side, so I decided to move it to later in the month.  I'm sure I will be doing more with O.M.A.C. in the future.

However, there is something about my drawing of his Mohawk while looking at it straight on that sort of bothers me.  It reminds me of something... I can't quite put my finger on it.  Oh, wait, I think I know what it reminds me of...


OH, NO!  NOT THAT!  ANYTHING BUT THAT!

Sigh...  Oh, well.  For those interested, here are the steps in drawing.  

(NOTE: While I really like "Fifth Element", Chris Tucker's character, DJ Ruby Rhod, is SUPER annoying.)

* * *


STEP ONE:  Here are the digital pencils on a 1,000px by 1,400px canvas at 200dpi. 

* * *


STEP TWO:  Here is the grayscale laying out the general form, as well as some of the light and shadows.

* * *


STEP THREE:  I cut out the figure and did the background, and then did the flat colors over a MULTIPLY Layer.

* * *


STEP FOUR:  I added the final highlights and shadows over the flat colors, and painted over top of everything with several Normal Layers.

* * *

This was done with Photoshop.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment