Sunday, February 11, 2018

Unwanted Valentines: Power Droid / GNK Droid

Unwanted Valentines:
Power Droid / GNK Droid


OK, fellow nerds, it's time again for "Unwanted Valentines"!  Alas, Valentine's sneaked up on me this year and I got off to a bit of a late start.  Sigh, I had such beautiful plans...  

Anyhoo, for this one, it is the Power Droid/GNK Series Droid from "Star Wars".  Y'know, the droids wandering around in the background that only say "GONK!" (yeah, yeah, I know there is one being tortured in Jabba's palace that doesn't say "GONK!", no need to correct me).  I always thought they were amusing and they hold a soft spot in my heart--and even softer head.

And, while working on this GONK Droid card, I got another idea with the GNK Droid which I'll (hopefully) be posting soon.  For now, I have at least one other nerdy Unwanted Valentine to get done... ONWARD!

* * *


STEP ONE:  Here are the digital pencils.  Originally, I did them with a 9 pt. hard brush on a 1,500px by 2,100px canvas at 300dpi.

* * *


STEP TWO:  The digital inks, again, mostly done with a 9pt hard brush.  I used some guidelines underneath for perspective and to make sure things were (mostly) square, but I also wanted it to look hand-drawn.  So, I didn't bother using shift/ruler tools and the like for the linework, but just drew everything overtop the guidelines.  Lots of drawing and re-drawing and re-re-drawing lines until I got them close to right.  Bleh.

Well, except for the word balloon.  By that time, I was near to the end and just said #$@!! it, I'll just leave the word balloon as a stroked shape and be done with it...  :-P

* * *


STEP THREE:  Coloring was done over top the digital inks on a Multiply Layer.  After it was done, I dropped the resolution down to 200dpi, so the canvas dropped to 1,000px by 1,400px for a smaller upload size.  Ta-da!

* * *

Done digitally with Photoshop.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment