Saturday, January 15, 2022

Happy (Belated) New Year / Batman-uary - Part 1

 HAPPY (Belated) NEW YEAR/
BATMAN-UARY

Sure, January is nearly half-over, but what better way to ring in 2022 (Belatedly) than with Two-Face?  In this case, it is Two-Face from "Batman #50" (1948), so he's purple rather than the usual green-hue.

Here's the original cover, by the way.

We'll call it a Two-Fer--New Years well wishing and the first entry for this year's Batman-uary!  Harvey Dent, himself, would be proud of that one... Marginally.  OK, Two-Face would have approved if it was the second post of the year.  Oh, well...  Personally, I always thought it would be fun to explain most of Harvey Dent's transformation into Two-Face as psychosomatic, rather than the result of any sort of acid attack.  It just made more sense to be that way, to me, anyways.

So, anyhoo, it's BATMAN-UARY, where I do up some Batman-related posts for fun  (I admit it, I'm far more of a Superman guy than a Batman guy, but some of those way-out 50's designs and covers just scream out for something to be done with 'em).  I even went through the trouble of doing up a dumb logo for BATMAN-UARY and everything.  Yeah, my love of puns, portmanteaus, and grammar-based humor gets me in trouble yet again...

Here's to hoping the New Year is better than the previous two years combined (a low bar, I know)!

* * *

STEP ONE:  Here are the really basic pencils, scribbled out on a canvas in Rebelle 5 on a 2,250px x 3,000px canvas @ 300dpi.  I did cheat a little bit and copy/flip the hands so they matched--a mirror effect for Two-Face.

* * *

STEP TWO:  Here's the first pass with Rebelle 5.  While I like the way it works generally, I'm still getting used to it and the way it blends, etc.  The watercolor engine in Rebelle and some of the blending is pretty amazing... Now I just gotta start applying some of those effects to some of my posts in the future.

* * *

STEP THREE:  I admit it, I got a little impatient and just imported it into Clip Studio Paint to finish it up, as I know exactly what most of the brushes I use do to get desired effects.  Well, that and I wanted to use the iPad, rather than sitting in front of the computer desk all day (they have Clip Studio Paint for iPad, but no Rebelle for iPad, alas).  It still looks a little "cutout" and "digital" for my general tastes, but I think with this one it may have been a little difficult to avoid.  Onward, to the next one!

* * *

Done digitally in Rebelle 5 and Clip Studio Paint.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment