Friday, January 11, 2013

Lobo

LOBO


Hey, look--THREE posts within 2 weeks!  So far, so good on that New Year's Resolution...  :-)

This was done as a bit of a joke for a pal at work who wanted me to do something with Lobo a few months ago.  I told him I wouldn't be able to get to it until after Christmas, so here it is...

And, for those interested, here's the process...

* * *


STEP ONE:  Here's the sketch I did for layout.  It's about 2" x 3" on the back of a scrap piece of paper on pencil.  As is typical, I think I like the quick, warm-up sketch better than the finished painting.  Sigh...

* * *


STEP TWO:  I penciled it out on a 9" x 12" piece of gessoed matboard.  

* * *


STEP THREE:  Here I am starting to paint the figure, modelling the form and such and working on the undertones.

* * *


STEP FOUR:  Here's the painting a bit further along...

* * *


STEP FIVE:  Almost done...

* * *


STEP SIX:  Here's the finished painting.  Now that I look at it, there are a few things here and there I would like to fix with the painting--the face got a little wide while I was painting over it; the anatomy of the arm is a bit mushy; while trying to exaggerate the anatomy ala Simon Bisley, the muscles of the arm are too separated from each other--they look like they are just stacked on top of each other, rather than an integrated arm...  Some other things here and there.  But, I suppose I could easily spend another day or two just noodling around with the paints and still not quite have it done to my satisfaction.  Ah, well.  Good enough for Todd!  (And, yes, Todd, that was an insult!)  :-P

* * *

This was done with acrylic paint on 9" x 12" gessoed matboard.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment