Monday, March 31, 2014

MODOK - March MODOK Madness 2014 (Part 2)!

M.O.D.O.K.
(MENTAL ORGANISM DESIGNED ONLY for KILLING)


Hey, everyone, it's a second submission to the March MODOK Madness Blog!  This was going to be color, but, alas, I ran out of time before the final buzzer is set to go off later this evening.  I'll just have to colorize it at a later date, I'm sure.

Anyhoo, here is the process for those who are mildly interested...

* * *


STEP ONE:  I did a quick sketch of the layout I was going to use: a forced perspective of his arm on the joystick of his chair.  I did the sketch using a blue pencil on a scrap piece of copy paper.  As usual, I think there is a certain energy to the quick sketch which I almost prefer to the finished picture.  Oh, well.

* * *


STEP TWO:  I used a chalk brush in PhotoShop and began to lay out the lights and darks, as well as form for M.O.D.O.K.

* * *


STEP THREE:  More of the same.  Here it is a little further along.  :-)

* * *


STEP FOUR:  Here it is a little further along.  I decided to crop it a little bit to get tighter on M.O.D.O.K.'s face.  I also painted over the three stripes on the side of his metallic body armor, intending to paint it back in when I was finished with the lighting on his body.  However, in the rush to get this finished, it looks like I forgot to add them back in again (Sigh...).  I also added some Kirby Krackle.

* * *


STEP FIVE:  This is the finished picture of M.O.D.O.K.  I cropped in even tighter on his face, which seemed to increase the dramatic feel for the picture.  I also finished up the work on his hand and some of the metallic shine for his body armor, as well as some other bits and pieces.  As the window of time was closing fast (today is the last day), I called it good enough and sent out the submission.

* * *

This was done digitally in PhotoShop.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment