Wednesday, March 5, 2014

MODOK - March MODOK Madness 2014!

M.O.D.O.K.
(MENTAL ORGANISM DESIGNED ONLY for KILLING)


Greetings!  Here's a submission for the March MODOK Madness Blog.  Every year they open up their Blog to all manner of drawings of M.O.D.O.K.  It's great fun and I encourage everyone to take a look (or, better yet, submit something for yourself).  :-)

For those of you interested, here's the Step-by-step...

* * *


STEP ONE:  I did up a quick sketch of what I wanted to do with a charcoal pencil and some India ink on a piece of newsprint.  I figured an extreme close-up of M.O.D.O.K. would be cool.

* * *


STEP TWO:  Here's a midpoint black-and-white digital under-painting.  I mostly just use a chalk brush in PhotoShop, as it has a good texture and gives more of a natural feel to the digital painting.

I did make one significant change to the planned layout in that I included a bit more of his face, deciding it included a little more expression.  I'm still going back-and-forth on deciding if I like it with more of his face showing, or if I should have just cropped it off as I originally intended.  Decisions, decisions... 

* * *


STEP THREE:  Here's the finished black-and-white painting.

* * *


STEP FOUR:  I used a MULTIPLY Layer to do most of the colorizing of the black-and-white painting.  For additional highlights, as well as some of the glowing light effects, I used a NORMAL Layer overtop in addition to the Blur Filter.  I then sent a copy off to the March MODOK Madness Blog.  I'm hoping to get one more submission done for March M.O.D.O.K. Madness (fingers crossed).  :-)

* * *

This was done digitally in PhotoShop.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment