Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959)

Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959)


This was a movie which I saw when I was six or seven.  Ah, my time as a youngster in Central Wisconsin in the mid-1970's, spent staying up waaaayyyy too late on Friday nights to watch "T.J. and the A.N.T." (All Night Theater).  They would show old B-Movies featuring "Godzilla", various monsters and space aliens, broken up with "The Andy Griffith Show", "Charlie Chan", and other shows they must have gotten dirt cheap for syndication.  But, as I was a kid, I didn't care.  I was there for the B-Movies.  Anything involving robots, spaceships, monsters, aliens, and their ilk, I was in.  (Sadly, I've probably watched 80% of the movies shown on Mystery Science Theater 3000 without Joel/Mike, Tom Servo, and Crow T. Robot in the corner.)

As for the Ed Wood, um... classic (?), "Plan 9 from Outer Space", to my young mind it was a terrifyingly realistic plot to take over the world using zombies!  Looking at it today, of course,  "Plan 9 from Outer Space" is a terrifyingly realistic plot to take over the world using zombies! 

I know I usually do the pen-and-ink, B-Movie Halloween series with some sort of monochromatic color scheme on these, but in this case I can only think of Tor Johnson in washed out black-and-white.  Colorizing him just seems... wrong.

And, now, the step-by-step for those interested...  And even those of you who aren't interested, of course.

* * *


STEP ONE:  Here are the rough pencils on a 8-1/2" x 11" sheet of cardstock.

* * *


STEP TWO:  I inked the pencils with a a #8 brush and Pro-Art 4100 India Ink.

* * *


STEP THREE:  I scanned the pen-and-ink drawing into Photoshop and did a grayscale over a MULTIPLY Layer.

* * *

Done with pen-and-ink on 8-1/2" x 11" cardstock, colorized in Photoshop.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment