Friday, December 16, 2016

Digital Quick Paint - K-2SO

K-2SO


In honor of "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story", here's a digital quick paint of one of my favorite characters from the movie: K-2SO, a reprogrammed Imperial Droid.  His deadpan delivery and steady sarcasm made him one of my favorite characters in the movie.

I won't give any spoilers, but "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" really put the "War" in "Star Wars".  There are quite a few Easter Eggs and surprise cameos scattered throughout the movie, and the last 5-10 minutes of the movie will bring an excited glee of recognition to the hearts of any "Star Wars: A New Hope" fan.  I'll give it 4-1/2 out of 5 Kyber Crystals.

I suppose "quick paint" is a relative term, as this was done over the course of 2-1/2 hours or so.

* * *


STEP ONE:  Here is the quick digital pencils and color layout on a 900px x 900px canvas.

* * *


STEP TWO:  Well, I guess I could have put in a few more in-between steps...  Oh, well.  In the background, I just used a textured brush to to give the illusion of a sandstone type surface.  From there, I built up the colors on K-2SO, trying to make him look like a matte, gun-metal surface with light and shaded areas, and built toward refining the details.  I would have liked to run another pass over the drawing to fix his collar area and fill in a few more details, but unfortunately ran out of time and so had to call it "Good 'nuff".  

* * *

Done digitally in Photoshop.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment