Saturday, March 31, 2018

March M.O.D.O.K. Madness 2018 - Part 5

March M.O.D.O.K. Madness 2018
(Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing)



It's the last submission to the March M.O.D.O.K. Madness Blog for the year, just under the wire!

I decided to go out with a bang and do up a two-page parody of the classic Bugs Bunny cartoon, "Duck Amuck", with Arnim Zola and M.O.D.O.K.

Step-by-step below (Click to embiggen!)

* * *


STEP ONE:  Here is a peek behind the curtain, showing the evolution of the strip (including parts that were dropped/changed).  Originally, it was going to be just a single panel with "Ain't I a stinker?", but the more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea of doing it as a multi-page, comic panel layout.  Except in this case "multi" means "two".  There were other little scraps doodled out here and there, but rather than show every little thing, here is the nucleus of the cartoon upon which everything else was built.

It's the way I do most of my stuff: a piece of paper and ballpoint pen to scribble out some ideas and see where they lead.  Usually, it is down dead ends and blind alleys--like this one!  I had doodled the "Ain't I a stinker?" line last year as a possible idea, but ran out of time.  So, here it is now.  And I have several ideas sketched out that I didn't get to, so probably next year.  Or the year after.

* * *



STEP TWO:  The pencils are particularly rough and somewhat off-model, as I was still deciding if I wanted to do Zola in an updated form where his face is a blue computer screen, or more of classic Zola.  I went with a mostly classic Zola after all, so that changed.

* * *



STEP THREE:  Here are the digital inks.  They were done with a .7 size digital brush in Clip Studio Paint (formerly Manga Studio), since Photoshop decided to start acting up on me.  I should take the time to use Clip Studio Paint more, except I'm used to Photoshop so default to it out of habit.  I like a lot of Clip Studio Paint, but just have to get used to where all my normal tools are hidden...  :-D

* * *



STEP FOUR:  I colorized digital inks with a Multiply Layer, as well as a few Normal color layers over top.  I also hand drew the speech balloons, since I didn't have time to learn the proper way to make them in Clip Studio Paint before I had to submit it to Pedro and Brendan at the  March M.O.D.O.K. Madness site.  Time was ticking and I was down to the last hour.  Made it!  Whew!

* * *

Done digitally in Clip Studio Paint.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment