Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Halvin and Cobbes - 90's Comics Redux

I still have several things I am finishing but, once again, I wanted to be able to post something until they are ready to go up on the blog.  I stumbled across some old stuff I had laying around and thought this was mildly amusing enough to post.

(Click on the cartoon to Embiggen) 

This was a cartoon I did wwwwaaayyyyyy back in 1993 (holy crap!  Where does the time go?) as a submission for "The Comics Buyers' Guide" back when it was a weekly newspaper, rather than the current monthly magazine.  Sadly, it wasn't published.  [I did have a few other cartoons published in the CBG which I called "Dyspepsia of the Mind", and even got to do a Guest Editorial for them about collector mentality gone wrong.  Maybe I'll post those someday, as well...]

In the early 90's, ultra-violent anti-heroes and all manner of cover gimmicks (multiple-covers, holographic covers, glow-in-the-dark covers...) were going from occasional happenings to almost seeming to become the norm.  Plot and story were replaced with gritting teeth, constipated expressions, and foil-embossed covers... Well, sorta like now, I suppose, for the most part.  The more things change, the more they stay the same, I guess.

Oh, and the reference to "JSA" was the delightful 1992 "Justice Society of America" run from Len Strazewski and the late Mike Parobeck (gone too soon).  I suppose I should also say "Calvin and Hobbes" was one of the BEST comic strips out there and still remains one of my all-time favorites.

Hope you like it!  It's almost 20 years old, but seems almost as applicable today, sadly.  :-)


Pen and Ink on 8-1/2" x 14" bristol board (colored digitally)

.

No comments:

Post a Comment