Friday, May 16, 2014

Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Aliens - Lumina


Lumina


Here is the original entry for the Alien Race: Lumina to the "Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe".

* * *


And here is my entry to the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Redux.  

The Lumina (like the Lem) first appeared in the "Shogun Warriors" comic.  The Shogun Warriors were giant Robots/Mechas--almost proto-Transformers from the day, as I think they changed into ships and such, if I remember correctly.  Because of that, I tried to make the Lumina a Mecha-Suit which resembled an updated take on the Shogun Warriors.

I have a nostalgic fondness for the series, of which I have about a half-dozen issues that were among some of the first comics I got as a kid in the late 1970's  (Giant robots?  I'm in!).  I may have to dig through my various long boxes to see if I still have the issues... :-D

* * *


STEP ONE:  Here are the pencils, done with a .5mm, HB lead on 8-1/2" x 11" cardstock.

* * *


STEP TWO:  The inks were done with a brush and ink.  Originally, I was going to do up some mecha-style fins that rose from from the back of the Lumina, but decided to leave them off.  It just seemed to add visual noise to the picture and was more of a "What the heck is that?" sort of thing.  So, off it went.

* * *


STEP THREE:  After it was scanned into PhotoShop, I colorized it with a MULTIPLY Layer.  Most of the time, I like to use the Chalk Brush in PhotoShop, but this time I mostly used the Airbrush for the mecha suit.

* * *

Done with Pen-and-Ink on 8-1/2" x 11" cardstock, colored digitally.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment