Saturday, August 4, 2012

Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Supreme Intelligence

Supreme Intelligence 


Here is the original entry in the "The Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe".

* * * * *


Here is my version of the Supreme Intelligence to the Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe: REDUX EDITION blog. The Supreme Intelligence, a sort of Kree Hive-Mind of their best-and-brightest, has always captured my imagination.  A hyper-intelligent, giant, floating, tentacled head... I mean, what's NOT to find cool about that?

And, for those interested, here's the process:

* * * * *


STEP ONE:  On a 12" x 18" piece of 70# Dick Blick sulphite paper, I roughed out the Supreme Intelligence in soft, vine charcoal.

* * * * *


STEP TWO:  I finished the charcoal drawing (with an assist from some carbon pencil), pushing the shadows and erasing out highlights.

* * * * *


STEP THREE:  I took a picture with my camera and imported the drawing into PhotoShop.  I adjusted the levels, cropped the drawing, and added a MULTIPLY Layer in PhotoShop.  I then colored over the Supreme Intelligence in a flat, mid-tone green.  For the background, I put in a circular gradient from blue to a red-violet/magenta color. 

* * * * *


STEP FOUR:  I started going back in to the flat color, adding in highlights and shadows to the mid-toned green until I was vaguely satisfied.  I also added some Kirby Crackle to an OVERLAY Layer.  I decided to call it good and sent if off to Jon's Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe: REDUX EDITION blog.

* * * * * 

This was done with charcoal and carbon pencil on 12" x 18" Dick Blick (70#) Sulphite drawing paper, colored in PhotoShop.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment