Thursday, March 3, 2022

March M.O.D.O.K. Madness 2022 #2

March M.O.D.O.K. Madness 2022
(Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing)

Here's the second post for March M.O.D.O.K. Madness 2022.  In this case, it is a bit of a cheat, in that it is a commission I did earlier in the year [name redacted to protect the guilty] who wanted a mash-up of M.O.D.O.K. and the aliens from "They Live" (1988).  Two great things which go great together--like chocolate and peanut butter!  Or, in this case, two great things which are exactly in my wheelhouse!  

I figured it was be best to sit on this one for a while and post it during March M.O.D.O.K. Madness.  Speaking of, here's the link to the March M.O.D.O.K. Madness Blog.  Go over and pay them a visit--or even make a M.O.D.O.K. based submission!

* * *

STEP ONE:  Here's the original sketches for the commission, just to start getting a feel for the mash-up and try to get it balanced.  He decided to go with a more traditional M.O.D.O.K. appearance, with more of a throw back to the original Jack Kirby design, as well as having the alien from "They Live" have hair like the alien politician; I was quite happy to go with both suggestions.

* * *

STEP TWO:  And here's the final digital pencils for the commission.  I then printed it out in blue-line (25% opacity) on a 9" x 12" piece of Canson XL (#140) watercolor paper.

* * *

STEP THREE:  This was the first pass with acrylic paint.  I also decided M.O.D.O.K. needed more signs on his Mechno-Chair with the signature subliminal messages from "The Live".

* * *

STEP FOUR:  And, after a lot of back-and-forth with layers upon layers of paint, here's the finished painting.  Also, it's been a while since I complained about lettering: I don't like it.  If I were smart, I would have just printed it all out and then pasted it down using Matte Medium.  Of course, I'm not very smart, so I traced out the letters and hand-painted them.

* * *

Done with Acrylic Paint on 9" x 12" Canson XL (#140) watercolor paper.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment