Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Unwanted Valentines: Motel Hell (1980)

  Unwanted Valentines:
Motel Hell (1980)

It's another Unwanted Valentine--Valentines so nerdy and built upon horrible puns that no one would be pleased to receive them... especially a loved one!  This time it's Vincent Smith (Rory Calhoun) wearing a pig's head from "Motel Hell" (1980).  Hmmm, I guess I could have gone a little more blue with my pun and mentioned the "Special Meat".

* * *

STEP ONE Here are the digital pencils, done on a 2,000px x 2,800 @ 300dpi canvas.

* * *

STEP TWO:  And the digital inks, done mostly with an 8pt and a 12pt brush.

* * *

STEP THREE:  The colors were done on the layer below.

* * *

Done digitally with Clip Studio Paint

.

2 comments:

  1. Whoa!!! I completely missed this one! Great movie and even greater use of CSP! Your line-work is fricking phenomenal and the coloring is perfect! Hella good job man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yo Todd, 🙂

      Thanks for the all-too-kind words, as always! I remember seeing the posters for it in various horror and monster magazines I owned, and something about it really unsettled me. When I finally decided to sit down and watch it and face my fears, I thought "Wait, this is a COMEDY?"

      The same thing happened with "Evil Dead 2". The poster image was deeply troubling and the movie in my head was absolutely terrifying but, again, when I watched it, "Wait, this is a COMEDY? And it's great?"

      Yeah, I was hella-dumb when I was young. As opposed to now, when I am just regular dumb. I've come a long way, Baby!

      More latah!

      Johnnnnnnn D.

      Delete