Well, I realized that I had been pretty lazy last year and really need to start working harder if I am going to get anywhere. I thought I should set aside some time each week to do two or three short paintings--something in the range of 60-90 minutes or so at a maximum. Just a warm-up of sorts, so nothing too fancy.
Starting last week, I had set up a couple typical still life arrangements involving fruits and vegetables that were on the counter. Y'know, the usual artsy-fartsy stuff, and they turned out well enough.
In this case, I wanted to work on painting something shiny and thought C-3PO would fit that bill just fine and--BONUS!--would also work as something I could post on this Blog without it lookin' out of place. I grabbed a 5.5" x 8" piece of gessoed hardboard that I had randomly toned with some neutral colors.
For the palette: Titanium White, Ivory Black, Cadmium Yellow Medium, Naples Yellow (Red Lt.), Yellow Ochre, VanDyke Brown, Cadmium Red Deep, Permanent Blue Violet, and Ultramarine Blue. I also used a #10 Flat Brush and a #10 Round Brush for all the painting.
I think it turned out well enough that I'm not totally embarrassed by the results. I'm thinking I may post a series of other Sci-Fi/Horror/Comic Book oriented warm-ups in the future if there's enough interest. We'll see, I guess.
And this time I had enough foresight to scan in my progress a little bit. Yeah, I know, who'da thunk it?
* * *
STEP ONE: First, I did a pencil layout with an ebony pencil I had laying around. I will be the first to admit that they are a little off for the shape of the head, but I just wanted to get a rough placement of the figure and planned on fixing anything in the painting stages. This was just a warm-up of sorts, after all.
* * *
STEP TWO: I spent about 30 minutes using a #10 Flat brush to layout most of the form, lights and shadows, and the general color arrangement. In some ways, I sort of like the flattened, posterized look and thought about stopping here. It was done just enough that you can recognize who it is, but still abstract enough that it was visually interesting, IMHO.
* * *
STEP THREE: I used the remaining hour I gave myself on this for tightening up the colors, adding more shadows and highlights, and a little bit more detail. At the end of the 90 minutes, I pretty much called it done, signed my name on it, and scanned it in. Good enough.
* * *
This was done with acrylic paint on 5.5" x 8" gessoed hardbard.