Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Happy (Belated) Pi Day!

Joe Pi Says...


It's Joe Pi--one of my favorite characters from the comic book series, "Top 10", by Alan Moore, Gene Ha, and Zander Cannon.  The premise of "Top 10" is that it is like "Hill Street Blues" in which everyone in the population has super-powers.  Joe Pi is a transfer from Turingville and has to deal with discrimination within the precinct, stereotypes, etc.  Given the humor and intelligence of the character, Joe Pi quickly became one of my favorite characters!

HERE ARE SOME HIGHLIGHTS of Joe Pi's first appearance in "Top 10" #11, giving you a flavor of what makes him so great.

Unfortunately, I thought of this a few hours too late to finish it before midnight on March 14, 2016.  However, when I put the last, finishing touch on the cartoon, I checked the clock on the corner of my computer screen; it was March 15, 2016, at 3:14am (CST).  Perfect!

* * *


STEP ONE:  Here are the digital pencils, done on a new 1,000px by 1,400px document.

* * *


STEP TWO:  The digital inks were done mostly with 5pt Hard Brush.

* * *


STEP THREE:  And here are the colors, done on a new Multiply Layer.  Done and DONE!

* * *

This was done digitally with Photoshop.

.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Pi Day, man! I love Pi Day. I mean, I didn't actually get any pie ... but I cut out of work early and did get some chocolate muffin.

    There was actually a local high school math competition here on Pi Day. Which, of course there was ... entirely appropriate. I didn't go there, either, but my son Ben did. Came home with medals.

    I checked out the linked comic. That was awesome. I am in love with retarded hillbilly cousin Emmy-Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's another Nerd Holiday! Between "Pi Day", "May the Fourth be With You", and several days, Nerds really have taken over the world.

      Congrats to Ben! He'll be a Mathemagician like his old man! :-) You were always far, far superior to my meager math skills -- Smash-cut to a chimpanzee hitting a rock with a stick.

      Joe Pi is the best version of the cliche "Robot that is more human than us": compassionate, sensitive, and funny as H-E-Double Hockey Sticks. Every time he would show up, I would have a smile on my face. "How do I unplug you when you take over the world?" "Ask me the purpose of existence, and I explode." Great stuff!

      Delete