Thursday, March 31, 2016

Mini-Paint: Talosian

Talosian


Here's another quickie acrylic painting.  This one ran a little longer than I intended--I planned on these being only 60-90 minutes, but this one went 2 hours.

In this case, it is the telepathic alien species, the Talosian, from "Star Trek" episode "The Cage/The Menagerie".  I'm sure enough of you are nerdy enough for me to not have to explain the long, storied history of that episode(s).  Anyhoo, when I saw this episode as a kid, I was captivated by the aliens and their telepathic powers.  Great episode!

I used the same palette as the C-3PO painting below: Titanium White, Ivory Black, Cadmium Yellow Medium, Naples Yellow (Red Lt.), Yellow Ochre, VanDyke Brown, Cadmium Red Deep, Permanent Blue Violet, and Ultramarine Blue.  I also used a #10 Flat Brush and a #10 Round Brush for all the painting.

Alas, the scanner really picked up on the texture of the gessoed hardboard.

* * *


STEP ONE:  I grabbed a 5.5" x 8" gessoed hardboard which had a neutral tone thrown over top and took a couple minutes to rough in the general layout with an ebony pencil.

* * *


STEP TWO:  I used a #10 Flat Brush to lay down the general shapes and colors for the first half-hour.

* * *


STEP THREE:  Over the course of the last 90 minutes, I tightened up the facial features, and pushed the shadows and highlights using both the #10 Flat Brush and the #10 Round Brush.

* * *

This was done with acrylic paint on 5.5" x 8" gessoed hardbard.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment