Thursday, October 29, 2020

Day 29: The Void (2016) - 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020

 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020
The Void (2016)

A Lovecraftian horror mixed with John Carpenter's "The Thing" with an 80's body horror aesthetic.  Hmmm, I think I need a swear jar which, instead of swear words, every time I mention "Lovecraft", "John Carpenter's The Thing", or "80's Horror Movies" during 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween, I will throw a dollar into the jug.  I'd be rich!

It has cult members in triangle-shaped face masks, trying to bring about a new age filled with dark, Elder Gods which they want to summon to Earth.  I think the up-facing triangles are more unsettling to me, as the eyes and nose have a sort of downward triangle aspect when you are drawing the face.  The fact they subvert that--whether intentional or not--bothers me.  Mostly, my sense of design wants to make turn that triangle upside down.  That sense of unease probably helps make it more creepy.

If you like Lovecraft (DING!), "John Carpenter's The Thing" (DING!), or 80's body horror (DING!), then you will probably enjoy "The Void".

* * *

STEP ONE:  These are the quick, digital pencils done on a 1,500px x 2,250px @ 300dpi in Clip Studio Paint.

* * *

STEP TWO:  Here is the halfway point, where I just digitally painted under the pencils so I could see where the rough pencils and wrinkles would go.  At this point, I didn't care if I went outside the lines all that much.  I would just take the eraser and carve around the drawings.

* * *

STEP THREE:  I further refined the cultists's costumes/wrinkles, and added the tentacles emerging from the open gate to another world.

* * *

Done digitally in Clip Studio Paint.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment