Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Day 27: Creepshow (1984) - 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020

31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020
Creepshow (1984)

I always liked reading "Tales from the Crypt" and other horror comics growing up--well, the few that I could find, anyways.  "Creepshow" is a loving pastiche to those comic books directed by George A. Romero and written by Stephen King (a fan of his writing, too).  So, quite the horror pedigree.

It sounds like I am damning with faint praise (and, perhaps I am), but IMHO "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" is probably Stephen King's best job acting.  Sure, it's overly broad overacting with a stereotypical, backwoods, cross-eyed cornpone, but I found it actually funny--the day dream sequences with his visits to the local college's "Department of Meteors" make me laugh.  If you ask me (and why would you?), it's the best of the short stories in the anthology.  The other stories are good, but the story of Jordy's sad, lonesome death is both funny and oddly touching.

* * *

STEP ONE:  The pencils, done on 8-1/2" x 11" toned cardstock with a black colored pencil.

* * *

STEP TWO:  And this is about the halfway point with gouache/watercolor.  As usual, just trying to get a feel for the forms and lay some color down.

* * *

STEP THREE:  And here's the end result.  It's always tricky trying to get a likeness.  A fraction of an inch/a few millimeters here or there can make all the difference.  I think you can tell who it's supposed to be, but as to whether it truly looks like Stephen King, well...  It's tolerable, I guess.  On to the next one!

* * *

Done with Watercolor/Gouache on 8-1/2" x 11" toned cardstock.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment