Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Day 07: Halloween (1978) - 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020

31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020
Halloween (1978)

One week down, three more weeks and three days to go!  This time, it's Michael Myers from "Halloween" (1978).  The well-known bit of trivia is Michael Myers wears the spray-painted mask of a truly scary monster, Mark Zuckerberg!  Er, I mean William Shatner (startled gasp!).  (Any resemblance between one of the sociopathic creators of Facebook and Michael Myers is purely coincidental, I'm sure.)

John Carpenter is one of those under-appreciated directors that sneaks through as to how many really good movies he made in the late 70's to the late 80's: "Halloween", "John Carpenter's The Thing", "They Live", "Big Trouble in Little China", "In the Mouth of Madness", and "Prince of Darkness" are all ones that I like quite a bit.

Oh, and let me say--as strange as "Halloween III: Season of the Witch" is, I do appreciate it for that strangeness and the fact they decided to go into a more experimental direction.  I mean, the movie is not good at all (and I didn't care all that much for it when I first watched it as a teen), but the idea of doing something completely different with a franchise is worth tipping one's hat and saying "Good try".

* * *

STEP ONE:  Here are the pencils on 8-1/2" x 11" black cardstock, done with a Cold Blue colored pencil.

* * *

STEP TWO:  And this is a first pass with gouache (opaque watercolor).  The ear on the William Shatner mask was a bit off, so I tried to correct it during the painting.

* * *

STEP THREE:  And here are is the finished painting.  The ear was still off a bit, so I painted it over a little further over, as well as the other side of the head, as well, should have been a little wider.

* * *

Done traditionally with watercolor/gouache on 8-1/2" x 11" black cardstock.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment