Saturday, October 10, 2020

Day 10: The Incredible Melting Man (1977) - 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020

31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020
The Incredible Melting Man (1977)

When I was young, I got a box of science fiction/monster magazines which we bought at a rummage sale.  One of them was "Famous Monsters" with a cover story about "The Incredible Melting Man", which fascinated me for some reason--there were all kinds of other magazines such as "Starlog", "The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction" (which had delightful spot drawings from Gahan Wilson), Warren Publishing "Eerie" and "Creepy" Magazines, all of which I pored over.  Yikes, it's like a part of my childhood development laid out before everyone.


(Hey it's a copy of the "Famous Monsters" I had as a kid!  Which I also mostly used as a reference for the painting--Obviously, I hope.)

Anyhoo, all that boils down to I've been meaning to do something with "The Incredible Melting Man" for a while now, and here it is!  As for the movie, I finally got to watch it much later: it's a typical B-Movie with marginally OK special effects (covered up by them shooting Night-for-Night on film).  "Mystery Science Theater 3000" also did a great send up of the movie; I recommend it far more than the actual movie itself.  (I'm a huge fan of "Mystery Science Theater 3000" and, sadly, I've seen most of the "MST3K" movies without Joel/Mike, Crow, and Tom Servo in the bottom right-hand corner.)

* * *

STEP ONE:  Here are the pencils on 8-1/2" x 11" toned cardstock, done with a black colored pencil.

* * *

STEP TWO:  And here is roughly the halfway point with watercolor/gouache.

* * *

STEP THREE:  And here is the finished painting.  I realized a little too late that the eye in the reference was probably a mistake, meant to be covered for the actual movie?  But, I think it also works, somewhat.  So, I left it in.

* * *

Done traditionally with watercolor/gouache on 8-1/2" x 11" toned cardstock.

No comments:

Post a Comment