Sunday, October 4, 2020

Day 04: War of the Colossal Beast (1958) - 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020

31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020:
War of the Colossal Beast (1958)

OK, when I said I would be doing "something newer", I'm sure you were thinking of something far more recent than 62 years ago.  Well, the joke's on us both, then!  Anyways, I remember watching "War of the Colossal Beast" back when I was a wee-lad, so I have a bit of misplaced nostalgia for all those old, terrible "B-Movies" of yesteryear.  That's right, kids, back in the 70's and 80's, we had to watch whatever crappy shows they played on TV--the time before Netflix, the Internet, or even Cable TV.  It was either that or go outside and play...  I stand (or sit/lie, as the case may be) by my decision.

Of course, any show I saw as a kid which had Robots, Monsters, Space Ships, or Fantasy elements, count me in!  I was simple like that.  Some would argue I'm still simple.

* * *

STEP ONEHere are the pencils, done with colored pencil on 8-1/2" x 11" toned cardstock.  I also brushed on some casein fixative to try and keep the buckling of the paper to a minimum with the gouache (an opaque watercolor) I was gonna use.  The results were mostly acceptable to keep it from warping too badly.

* * *

STEP TWO:  The halfway point of any drawing or painting tends to look... not good.  In this case, I was mostly just trying to get a first layer down to give the succeeding layers of gouache something to stick to.  The two colors on the palette were Jet Black and Titanium White, by the way.

* * *

STEP THREE:  And, after much noodling around and blending back-and-forth, here's the finished painting.

* * *

Done with watercolor/gouache on 8-1/2" x 11" cardstock.

No comments:

Post a Comment