Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Day 28: Alien (1979) - 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020

31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020
Alien (1979)

"Alien" is a great movie, the equivalent of a sci-fi haunted house in space with the Xenomorph jumping out and yelling "Boo!"  Oh, and killing people.

While trying to take a closer look at the Xenomorph, I noticed a lot more things on the costume that, while I knew they were there, it never really registered.  This time, I was looking and asking myself: "Is that a dryer vent?  That looks like a hex nut!  Etc."  All those inorganic items stuck to the costume.  Sure, H. R. Giger was into a biomechanical aesthetic, but didn't realize how literal it was in the Xenomorph in the original "Alien".  I guess I never looked closely enough at the original costume, but am used to the Xenomorphs from the later movies which, while it's still there, isn't quite as obvious.

If you will forgive the shameless self-promotion, I have to point out that among my most popular "Unwanted Valentine" by far is the Face-Hugger one, and turns up in some of the oddest places when Valentine's Day approaches.

* * *

STEP ONE:  Here are the quick pencils on 11" x 17" toned cardstock.

* * *

STEP TWO:  This was followed by the inks, done with a couple different brushes.  When I was about 3/4 of the way through, I started to regret just doing the Alien Xenomorph only in ink and wishing I had just done a watercolor/gouache.  Also, some of the proportions of the nick-knackery stuck to the costume wasn't quite right, but it was already inked and too late.  Sigh.

* * *

STEP THREE:  The brush and ink seemed a little bland compared to all the previous watercolor/gouache paintings, so I thought I'd import it into Procreate and work on colorizing it just a little bit.  Nothing too fancy, just some airbrush tools and such on a Multiply Layer.  I figured I haven't really used Procreate since the new update and would see if there was something new.  I also thought I'd go with something that looked vaguely like a black light poster, why not?

* * *

Done with brush and ink on 11" x 17" toned cardstock, and digitally colored.

No comments:

Post a Comment