Friday, October 16, 2020

Day 16: Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989) - 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020

 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020
Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989)

Hey, Lookit me pretending to be pretentious and highfalutin by doing a foreign, black-and-white movie!

"Tetsuo: The Iron Man" is almost a bio-mechanical version of "John Carpenter's The Thing" (Eesh, I keep bringing that movie up a lot this year... I mean, it is a great horror movie, but you'd think I should give it a break!).  It's filled with body horror as people begin to merge with machines like some sort of David Cronenberg amphetamine-fueled fever dream.  Frenetic, frantic, and chaotic.

And, yes, nerd that I am, I always think of Marvel Comics' Iron Man every time I hear the name.  The "Iron Man" part of the title; the "Tetsuo" part makes me think of "Akira", of course... and it does seem to have a few themes from "Akira" woven in, as well.

* * *

STEP ONE:  Here are the pencils, done on 8-1/2" x 11" toned cardstock with a black colored pencil.

* * *

STEP TWO:  And the usual halfway point or so.

* * *

STEP THREE:  Here it is about three-quarters of the way done.

* * *

STEP THREE:  Followed by the finished painting, with lots of pushing lights and darks and painting the various bric-a-brac.

* * *

Done with Watercolor/Gouache on 8-1/2" x 11" toned cardstock.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment