Monday, October 5, 2020

Day 05: Phantasm (1979) - 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020

31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020
Phantasm (1979)

What's this?  A horror movie with Color?  (I know, I know, "War of the Colossal Beast" (1958) actually had color, but it was only in the last minute or so of the movie so it mostly doesn't count.)  After the skull-drilling, blood pumping, metal spheres (Sentinels), the scariest thing in Phantasm (1979) is probably Angus Scrimm as the Tall Man raising an eyebrow and saying "Boy!"

* * *

STEP ONE:  Here are the pencils on a 12" x 12" piece of toned cardstock, done with an Indigo Blue colored pencil.  I also brushed on some casein fixative so as to minimize curling and buckling.

* * *

STEP TWO:  This is the first pass with some watered down gouache (opaque watercolors).  Most of the time, this works just fine.  However, for some reason, the casein added a bit too much resist this time and the colors tended to wipe off and show the toned cardstock beneath a little too much.  Speaking of colors, in this case I worked with a full palette of colors.  I did do an extra layer on the face and hands, just to make sure it would work

* * *

STEP THREE:  After a LOT of noodling around, here is the finished painting.  I wish I did a better job on the reflective nature of the Sentinels/metal spheres...  Ugh!  Oh, well.  I'm reasonably pleased with Angus's face and hands, so good 'nuff.  However, it's another case of taking so long to finish it the way I wanted it to look that I am running behind.  YIKES!

* * *

Done traditionally with gouache on 12" x 12" toned cardstock.

No comments:

Post a Comment