Thursday, October 8, 2020

Day 08: Critters (1986) - 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020

31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020
Critters (1986)

I watched "Critters (1986)" when I was a teen on VHS when it first came out--which makes me sound like a Hipster, rather than just really old.  I found it to be a fun movie, with little, people-eating space aliens on the run from space bounty hunters.  I re-watched it recently and it is still pretty amusing in a retro-80's-monster-movie-with-puppets kind of way.

* * *

STEP ONE:  Here are the pencils on 8-1/2" x 11" gray-toned cardstock, done with a black colored pencil.

* * *

STEP TWO:  This is the ink and brush.  I was half-tempted to just do up some highlights using a white colored pencil and leaving it at that, but since Critters are rather colorful characters, I decided to break out the watercolors...

* * *

STEP THREE:  Here is a first pass with gouache (opaque watercolor).

* * *

STEP FOUR:  And here are is the finished painting.  I painted with the gouache/watercolor first to model the forms first, then did an overlay with brush and ink to make sure the darks stay solid, rather than seeing the gouache wash out and overrun the ink.

* * *

Done traditionally with brush & ink and watercolor/gouache on 8-1/2" x 11" gray-toned cardstock.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment