Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Mini-Paint: Orion Slave Girl

Orion Slave Girl


Hey, it's another "Star Trek" quickie painting.  I think I'm going to keep going with the Star Trek theme for the next few posts.  Just 'cuz it's there.  For this one, I chose the Orion Slave Girl.  After all, when you say "Star Trek", can "green-skinned, dancing alien women" be far behind?  I didn't think so!

Even though it is said of the Orion Slave Girl that "no Human male can resist them", I really don't think Kirk was trying all that much...

I used the same palette as below: Titanium White, Ivory Black, Cadmium Yellow Medium, Naples Yellow (Red Lt.), Yellow Ochre, VanDyke Brown, Cadmium Red Deep, Permanent Blue Violet, and Ultramarine Blue.  I also used a #10 Flat Brush and a #10 Round Brush for all the painting.

I decided to challenge myself a little more, by mixing the green from the Cadmium Yellow Medium, Yellow Ochre, and Ultramarine Blue, rather than using a pre-mixed green paint... which is why this quickie painting took even longer than my previous ones: 2-1/2 hours.  Sigh, this is quickly spiraling out of control from my self-imposed limit of 60-90 minutes.  Oh, well.

* * *


STEP ONE:  Here are the pencils, roughly scribbled out on a 5.5" x 8" gray gessoed hardboard.  

* * *


STEP TWO:  Here are the results after the first half-hour using the #10 Flat Brush, which is just the quick layout of color.

* * *


STEP THREE:  About a half-hour later, I was a little further along with a second pass over the under-painting, again using the #10 Flat Brush and #10 Round Brush.

* * *


STEP FOUR:  I spent yet another hour-and-a-half finishing up the painting.  A lot of extra time was spent trying to mix a proper green using yellows and blue, which can be fickle with the limited palette, above (although, I have done lots of paintings with an even more limited palette).  After 2-1/2 hours, I figured I had gone far enough with this one and called it done, lest I spend several more hours working on it!

* * *

This was done with acrylic paint on 5.5" x 8" gessoed hardbard.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment