Thursday, April 14, 2016

Mini-Paint: Balok (Part 2)

Balok (Part 2)


For the final painting of this "Star Trek" run, I decided to follow up with the Commander Balok puppet from yesterday by doing a painting of the creepy-looking alien that controlled him, Clint Howard.

OK, here's the part where I admit that I did this painting/Blog post almost entirely for the sole reason of making that semi-obvious joke.  I'm sure you're asking yourself, "What sort of deranged maniac spends several hours doing a painting just so he can make one terrible joke?"  Well, you're looking at him!  Ugh, I think I need to start drinking some Tranya...

The palette was: Titanium White, Naples Yellow (Red Lt.), Yellow Ochre, Burnt Umber, Alizarin Crimson, Cobalt Blue (Hue), and Ivory Black.

This warm-up painting spun completely out of control, and took about 3-1/2 hours to finish.

Starting next week, probably something "Star Wars" related for my warm-up paintings.  Contrary to what this series may lead you to believe, I'm **FAR** more into "Star Wars" than "Star Trek".

* * *


STEP ONE:  Here are the pencils for Balok on a toned, 5.5" x 8" gessoed hardboard.

* * *


STEP TWO:  This is the first pass of the painting, laying out the general colors and modelling of the figure.  It took about an hour to get this far.

* * *


STEP THREE:  I spent the next two-and-a-half hours trying to get the colors mixed properly (or close enough to mixed properly), and just trying to get everything to look vaguely correct to the character.  It was a good exercise, both in color matching with such a limited palette, and in trying to vaguely do a portrait.  However, it completely blew my personal time limit for these warm-up paintings out of the water.  Oh, well.

* * *

This was done with acrylic paint on 5.5" x 8" gessoed hardboard.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment