Friday, April 8, 2016

Mini-Paint: Gorn

Gorn


Another Star Trek quickie painting.  This one is the Gorn, which Kirk fought on the classic episode, "Arena".  It's another one of those "When you think of 'Star Trek', you think of..." aliens.

The question for the painting was how much do I want to make the Gorn more "realistic", and how much should I keep it looking like a guy in a rubber suit.  I opted more toward the latter, just to keep it more in line with the flavor of the original "Star Trek" series.

There's also this AWESOME COMMERCIAL featuring a rematch of the Kirk vs Gorn fight.  It makes me laugh to myself every time.

I used the same palette as below: Titanium White, Ivory Black, Cadmium Yellow Medium, Naples Yellow (Red Lt.), Yellow Ochre, VanDyke Brown, Cadmium Red Deep, Permanent Blue Violet, and Ultramarine Blue.  I also used a #10 Flat Brush and a #10 Round Brush for all the painting.  And, once again, I decided to mix my own greens just for more of a challenge.

I ran a little over time with the painting, with this one also being 2 hours.  I suppose I should just move the time for my warm-up paintings from 60-90 minutes, to 90-120 minutes, since that is about how long they seem to be taking...  :-)

* * *


STEP ONE:  I quickly sketched out the Gorn painting on a 5.5" x 8" gray gessoed hardboard.

* * *


STEP TWO:  Using a #10 flat brush, I roughly laid in the colors.

* * *


STEP THREE:  Here's the next half-hour.  Still using the #10 flat brush, I tightened up the colors a bit and started working in some of the details of the Gorn.

* * *


STEP FOUR:  The last hour was used to add more shadows and highlights, and assorted details with a #10 round brush.

* * *

This was done with acrylic paint on 5.5" x 8" gessoed hardboard.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment