Thursday, April 28, 2016

Mini-Paint: Bossk

Bossk


Who's that Trandoshan with a Wookie pelt on his belt?  Bossk!  You're damn right!  (Yes, the previous sentence was to be said to the tune of Isaac Hayes's "Shaft" song--lyrics don't start until about 2:40 into the video.) 

Anyways, I'm continuing on with the Bounty Hunters from "The Empire Strikes Back".

And, just for funzies, it's a video of Bossk in action on "Robot Chicken".  Y'know, just because.

The palette was: Titanium White, Naples Yellow (Red Lt.), Yellow Ochre, Burnt Umber, Cadmium Red Deep, Cobalt Blue (Hue), and Ivory Black.

Again, this one ran over time and was done in about 3 hours or so.

* * *


STEP ONE:  Here are the pencils on a 5-1/2" x 8" gray, gessoed hardboard.

* * *


STEP TWO:  The first half-hour was spent just laying in the general colors and getting some paint down on the gessoed surface to built upon.

* * *


STEP THREE:  I spent the next hour modelling the face and getting the mid-tones in and placement of highlights and shadows.

* * *


STEP FOUR:  I went long on this one, spending the next 90 minutes painting and re-painting his face, trying alternately to warm up the color of his face with more orange, and cool down other parts of the face with the darker browns.  I also finished up the suit he was wearing and figured I'd best call it good enough, lest I keep overworking it.

I have to keep reminding myself these are meant for warm-up/practice and, while I want them to look good enough to post, I don't need to have to be perfect, lest the time I spend on them spin completely outta control...  Which sorta defeats the purpose of these Mini-Paints.  :-S

* * *

This was done with acrylic paint on 5.5" x 8" gessoed hardboard.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment