Friday, March 17, 2023

March M.O.D.O.K. Madness 2023 #6

 March M.O.D.O.K. Madness 2023
(Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing)

It's yet another M.O.D.O.K. submission for the March M.O.D.O.K. Madness Blog!  This one is a parody of the Sea-Monkey advertisement which was in just about ever comic book I read growing up (yes, I'm that old).  Needless to say, the original ad's drawing in no way resembled the actual brine shrimp you received.  I never ordered it myself from the comics, but did see some brine shrimp eggs in a store and got them for the kids a long time ago as part of a science experiment for them to grow.  They were every bit as disappointing as I expected (the Sea-Monkeys, not the kids.  Well, most of the time...).  But, it was good to know I didn't miss much not being able to order them as a dumb kid; instead I bought them as a dumb adult!  

That said, I guess one could say the advertising worked 30 years later when I bought them.  Well played!

Here's the original ad.

* * *

STEP ONE:  Here are the digital, blue-line pencils done on a 2,000px x 2,750px canvas @300dpi in Clip Studio Paint.  I had a couple vague ideas for the text, but most of it was GREEKED to me!  (Never mind, typesetting joke form my ad layout days.)  Most of what I wrote was on the fly as I was getting everything together.

* * *

STEP TWO:  And here are the digital inks.

* * *

STEP THREE:  And like the Kirby pastiche below, the final coloring was also done with an assist from Photoshop.  After the simple colors were done, I applied the Retro Supply Co.'s paper effects to give it a more newsprint look.  I then ran it through the Color Halftone filter in Photoshop.  I imported the Filtered color layer back into Clip Studio Paint, dropped the opacity to 25% over the copied, non-filtered color layer, and changed it to a Soft Light Layer setting.  That way it gave the look of the old comics without it going too far.

* * *

Done digitally in Clip Studio Paint with an assist from Photoshop.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment