Saturday, September 28, 2024

Moss Piglet (October 2024): Moby Dick - Part 1

Moss Piglet (October 2024):
Moby Dick - Part 1

Hey, hey!  With October planning on being full-up with my dumb, self-aggrandizing "31 Days of HELL-O-Ween", I figured I'd post my October 2024 submissions to "Moss Piglet" (it's at the presses now, so will be coming out soon).  In this case, the monthly prompt was for "Moby Dick", which I decided to do as a comic page involving Bartleby the Scrivener showing up on the Pequod with obvious results.

The idea for the comic page was blisteringly easy: I was wracking my brain trying to think of something semi-clever for "Moby Dick", when, by some sort of Jungian Synchronicity, someone on a podcast I was listening to said "I would prefer not to".  Tada!  It was just that easy!  The entirety of the strip was crystalized in my mind.  The only difficult part was trying to figure out which speech by Ahab that Bartleby could interrupt with his catchphrase and not have it go on for several pages (as it is, the speech took up a sizable chunk of the page).

I vaguely used Gregory Peck as the model of Ahab from the John Huston's 1956 movie, "Moby Dick" (screenplay by Ray Bradbury, no less!), and for Bartleby it was Crispin Glover from a modern retelling of "Bartleby the Scrivener" called, appropriately enough, "Bartleby" (2001).

* * *

STEP ONE:  Here are the quickly scribbled digital pencils, done in Clip Studio Paint on a 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" @ 300dpi digital canvas.

* * *

STEP TWO:  And here is the Ink Layer.

* * *

STEP THREE:  Finally, I just added some gray tones, figuring that black-and-white would be more in keeping with the "Moby Dick" movie.

* * *

For those of you interested, here's the link to the Homepage for "Moss Piglet": https://www.krazines.com/

You can also view previous issues online at: https://www.krazines.com/archives.html  This one was on the back cover for those interested.

If you're able, subscribe and tell 'em John D. sent you!

* * *

Done digitally in Clip Studio Paint.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment