Sunday, September 29, 2024

Moss Piglet (October 2024): Moby Dick - Part 2

Moss Piglet (October 2024):
Moby Dick - Part 2

Here's my second submissions for the October 2024 issue "Moss Piglet" for "Moby Dick" (it's at the presses now, so will be coming out soon).  This time I was thinking it would be amusing to have a page of Comic Strips using "Moby Dick" as the through line, with parodies of "Peanuts", "Calvin and Hobbes", "Popeye", and "The Far Side" (although, "Popeye" was a last moment idea).

Another considered title for the "Moby Strip" was "Moby-ius Strips", which amused me.  Also, the title for "Moby Dickhead" was an obvious pun--too obvious for me to ignore, of course.  As a brief aside, the line (I dunno if you wanna call it a "joke" or not), "Ishmael?  More like FISHMEAL!", was based on a misspelling I did of "Call me Ishmeal", which I noticed if I put an "F" in front of it, it was "Fishmeal", and then retrofitted it to back into the "joke" panel.

* * *

STEP ONE:  Here are the quickly scribbled digital pencils, done in Clip Studio Paint on a 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" @ 300dpi digital canvas.

* * *

STEP TWO:  And here is the Ink Layer.

* * *

STEP THREE:  Finally, I just added color and an overlay of a paper texture to give it a vague, comic strip feel to it.  Also, I was able to erase the paper texture make the white for Moby Dick stand out even more.   Also, originally I didn't have the beards for Ahab stand-ins colored for some reason and when I looked at it, they resembled some sort of Lovecraftian leftovers from Innsmouth.  Just weird and creepy.

* * *

For those of you interested, here's the link to the Homepage for "Moss Piglet": https://www.krazines.com/

You can also view previous issues online at: https://www.krazines.com/archives.html  This one was on the back cover for those interested.

If you're able, subscribe and tell 'em John D. sent you!

* * *

Done digitally in Clip Studio Paint.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment