Saturday, March 21, 2020

March M.O.D.O.K. Madness 2020 - Part 6

March M.O.D.O.K. Madness 2020
(Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing)


Hey, it's another March M.O.D.O.K. Madness Blog submission!

This time, I was goofing off with a new app (to me), Art Set 4, on the ol' iPad.  It's a light-weight art app, and has a few tricks it does well--I like a few of the ink brushes and the watercolor and oil paint brushes blend in an interesting manner.  But, the interface can use some work and it just doesn't quite have the heft of some other apps I prefer, such as Clip Studio Paint, ArtStudio Pro, or Procreate.

So, this was just a random doodle of sorts.  I didn't even bother giving M.O.D.O.K. arms or legs in this one--just a floating, rocket head.  I'm hoping to get at least a couple more entrees done before the end of the month.  Fingers crossed.

* * *


STEP ONE:  I created a new canvas in Art Set 4 with one of the default, gray backgrounds and decided to use one of the more interesting, textured ink brushes called Koi.  For the white areas, I used their default Oil Brush

A brief aside to any Art App developers out there: I've really become enamored with Clip Studio Paint allowing Transparent as a brush color option.  Rather than using the eraser, it is more interesting to use the same brush to wipe out all colors and lines, instead.  It's a more natural eraser, IMHO.  Particularly when using a heavily textured brush.  

* * *


STEP TWO:  The inked image was colored with a series of Multiply and Normal Layers.  I didn't do any fancy layer or brush effects, as it was sort of intended to be more like a Sumi-brush effect.  Sort of...  So, I kept it simple.

* * *

Done digitally with Art Set 4 on an iPad Pro.

.

2 comments:

  1. Whoa! That turned out awesome! I really dig that gritty and primal traditional tools kind of look you managed to get out of Art Set! And not giving him arms and legs, for some strange reason just makes him look even more interesting. You never fail fail to impress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Todd, :-)

      As always, thanks for the kind words! Yeah, there are about 4-6 really good brushes with the ArtSet App. The one brush I used, Koi, was interesting to work with, being heavily textured and introducing some randomness.

      I think I will try some of the more textured and randomized brushes in ArtStudio Pro just for funzies, as I prefer ArtStudio Pro App (Thanks to you for gifting it to me :-).

      Lucky for me, you are easily impressed! :-D

      Thanks,

      John D.

      Delete