Saturday, March 28, 2020

March M.O.D.O.K. Madness 2020 - Part 7

March M.O.D.O.K. Madness 2020
(Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing)


Great Googly-Moogly!  How many more of these March M.O.D.O.K. Madness Blog submission am I gonna do?  The answer is at least one more.  Possibly two.

Oh, no, it looks like M.O.D.O.K. has too much MANGA-nese in his diet!  Ugh, I'll show myself out after that one...  This time I thought I would switch up styles yet again for M.O.D.O.K. and do it up in a Manga-style comic book page.  And, it seemed appropriate, given I used Clip Studio Paint (formerly Manga Studio) to draw this piece.

* * *


STEP ONE Here is the initial, scribbled doodle on a scrap piece of cardstock I had on hand that inspired this piece, if one could call it "inspired".  It was just a thought of "Oh, yeah, I should do something Manga-based.  I haven't done M.O.D.O.K. in that style, yet."  From there, I thought I should do it as a Manga comic page, rather than just an illustration aping the style.

* * *


STEP TWO:  And these are the hastily scribbled digital pencils on a 1,500px x 2,250px @ 600dpi (overkill, I know).  I was looking around for some inspiration by thumbing through some random Manga I have on my shelf and saw a panel with a back lit character and knew how the second panel had to look, aesthetically.  I do sorta like the thick line quality of the bottom panel, almost better than the finished one.  Too bad I wasn't quite able to capture that style as much as I wanted.  Ah, well...

Now it was just a matter of figuring out the first panel and what the story would be.  Well, as you can see, the "story" is just M.O.D.O.K. giving saying his name--a narrative twist no one saw coming!  Sigh...

* * *


STEP THREE:  Here is the finished page.  I used an inordinate number of layers and special rulers to achieve the line effects.  Clip Studio Paint has a fantastic brush engine, as well as perspective rulers.  I also decided to digitally hand-letter the page... which demonstrates my semi-crappy hand writing and why I hate lettering.  But, it seemed to fit the style of the page for some reason.  Also, I left it as black-and-white 'cuz, y'know... Manga.

* * *

Done digitally in Clip Studio Paint

.

No comments:

Post a Comment