Sunday, March 29, 2020

March M.O.D.O.K. Madness 2020 - Part 8

March M.O.D.O.K. Madness 2020
(Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing)


Yet another March M.O.D.O.K. Madness Blog submission.  And, possibly, it's one of the dumbest flashes of inspiration I've had for March M.O.D.O.K. Madness.

The conversation went something like this:

          John's Brain: John!  Hey, John, wake up!  
          John: Hmmama... whuh-hmbmbbb... [Snores]
          John's Brain: WAKE UP!
          John: HuhWha--?  Immuppp... I'm up!
          John's Brain: Y'know those tangerines you bought yesterday?
          John: Yeah...?
          John's Brain: Well, if you cut out the front section, I bet you can make it look like M.O.D.O.K.'s face.  Just Photoshop some eyes and digitally paint the front a bit and you can submit it to March M.O.D.O.K. Madness!
          John: [Long pause]  That's... [Another long pause]  Truly, that's gotta be one of the dumbest things you've ever sent my way, Brain.
          John's Brain: Yeah, I know...
          John: Well, it ain't gonna submit itself!  Let's do it, NOW!  [Leaps out of bed and races to the kitchen.]

So, this submission is a literal tangerine which I cut out to look like M.O.D.O.K., and then imported into Photoshop for a bit of digital chicanery.  The background is a photo I took of the interior of an old computer I had laying around (and should have taken to the Recycle Center a while ago now that I think about it), which was also imported and modified in Photoshop.

The accuracy of that conversation above is both a sad and shocking glimpse into my life...

* * *


STEP ONE:  I picked a random tangerine out of the bag and cut out the face mask area, and carved out the patterns and lights around his face.  For the background, I figured a blank or plain graduated color would be rather boring.  After a lot of thinking (all of 10 minutes), I thought about taking a pic of the motherboard of an old computer I had laying around.

* * *


STEP TWO:  Hey, it's an animated .gif of the process.  In this case, starting with the tangerine on the top layer and the motherboard photo in the bottom, I drew a face on the tangerine.  I added the lighting effects with an airbrush tool.  The motherboard was blurred and color corrected to blue to better set up a complementary color scheme (with orange and blue being on opposite sides of the color wheel).  I also went through with a charcoal brush in Photoshop to emphasize parts of the background to give it a little bit more of a Kirby feel to it.  Speaking of, I finished it off by adding a bit of Kirby Krackle.

* * *


STEP THREE:  And here's the finished picture which, given the rather sketchy nature of the inspiration, didn't turn out as horrible as it could have.

* * *

Done with digital manipulation in Photoshop.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment