Sunday, October 10, 2021

Day 10: The Fog (1980) - 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2021

 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2021:
The Fog

Day 10!  Almost one-third of the way there!  So far, so OK...

This time, it's from John Carpenter's "The Fog" (1980).  It's been quite a while since I watched it, but I mostly remember the moody and atmostpheric effects, punctuated with occasional jump scares and some minor gore as pirate, leper ghosts come back 100 years later for revenge.

John Carpenter had one heck of a run of cool movies--several of which are among my favorites ("The Thing" and "They Live" are masterpieces of paranoid Sci-Fi-Horror, IMHO).  I will probably do a couple more John Carpenter movies before the month is out.

* * *

STEP ONE:  Here are the digital pencils on a 1,500px x 2,100px canvas at 300dpi.

* * *

STEP TWO:  I thought it would be fitting to do the drawing as a digital scratchboard.  I started with a black layer, and used the Transparent color with a pen to carve out the black layer (one of the things I really like with Clip Studio Paint is that you choose the Transparent color, rather than having to switch between the Pen and Eraser).

* * *

STEP THREE:  At first, I thought I should just leave a the entire drawing black-and-white, and when I colored it, it looked a bit off.  I then landed on just doing a few spots of color, which seemed to work.

* * *

This was done digitally with Clip Studio Paint.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment