Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Day 22: Horrors of Dracula - 31 Days of HELL-o-Ween 2019

31 Days of HELL-o-Ween 2019
Day 22: Horrors of Dracula


Hey, it's another vampire!  This one is Christopher Lee from "Horrors of Dracula".  I'm not sure why Hammer horror movies seemed to disturb me as a kid when I watched them on weekend TV, but they did give me a sense of dread--giving me the sense that maybe Dracula will win this time.  Maybe it's just because there were so many vampire movies pumped out by the Hammer Horror company.  Or, maybe it's just that they were in color and therefore a bit more "real" to my childish mind (well, the childish mind of back then, as compared to the childish mind that I have now). 

As for the painting, itself, it loses a lot of the subtlety in the scan (like all the previous traditional/non-digital drawings/painting), but I kept having to check to see if it was Christopher Lee from "Horrors of Dracula", or Nicolas Cage from "Vampire's Kiss".  Maybe a little from column "A", and a little from column "B"...

This was done with watercolor/gouache Canson Montval (#185) Acrylic paper.  Originally, it was a 12" x 16" sheet of paper, which I cut it in half--with the other half being used yesterday for "The Exorcist" painting.  Again, the paper itself is kinda strange in the way it absorbs the watercolor--probably something with the internal sizing of the paper.  It worked pretty well, but was just different enough to give me pause and make me wonder if it was different "good", or different "bad".  I'm still not entirely sure...

* * *





* * *

This was done with watercolor on 8" x 12" Canson Montval (#185) Acrylic paper.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment