Sunday, October 11, 2020

Day 11: Silent Hill (2006) - 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020

31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020
Silent Hill (2006)

Hey, it's the Day 11 post--with hours to spare!  Whew!  

In this case, it's Pyramid Head from the 2006 movie, "Silent Hill", based on the video game of the same name.  I will have to shamefully admit never playing the video game (by then I had mostly quit them--don't worry, I had plenty of other things to waste my time!), nor have I sat down and watched it from beginning to end.  I've caught random scenes here and there--and they seemed creepy and atmospheric enough--but haven't actually sat down to watch it.  I'll have to do that someday, soon.

Anyhoo, this was by request of my youngest daughter; as it is one of her favorite horror movies.  (She even dressed as Pyramid Head at a Mid-West Comic-Con, and the costume turned out pretty cool.)

I almost abandoned the digital painting a couple times and started working on something else for the Day 11 Post before bouncing back to it again out of sheer desperation and finishing it just under the wire.  (See below for some of the process.)

* * *

STEP ONE:  Here are the digital pencils done on a 1,500px x 2,250px @ 300dpi.  Y'know, just a real quick scribble to get the general pose and layout and such.

* * *

STEP TWO:  Here is the start of the painting, Just some of the general colors and such, trying to get a feel for everything.

* * *

STEP THREE:  At this point, I realized the pyramid head part of Pyramid Head was too small and there was just something not-quite-right about the pose that I thought was uninteresting.  I set it aside and moved on to something else to draw/post.  Maybe I'll try to fix it, or just start over again.  Who knows?  Well, I meant at the time I was thinking that.  I kinda know what happened now, but at the time I wasn't too sure... 

* * *

STEP FOUR:  After some cutting, pasting, and other digital chicanery, I enlarged the head and subtly adjusted the pose so it didn't bother me quite so much, and filled in some details.  For the background, rather than just generic looking pseudo-flames and such, I threw in a generic industrial background to go with the generic, pseudo-flames and called it good enough.  (Yeah, the sword is out of perspective with the hand and it bothers me a lot... but sometimes you just gotta say "Good 'nuff!" and move on.)  Onward to the next one!

* * *

Done digitally in ArtStudio Pro on an iPad Pro. 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment