Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Day 20: Candyman (1992) - 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020

31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020
Candyman (1992)

Based on a Clive Barker short story, "Candyman" is a series of Urban Legends brought to life.  In this case, it's Bloody Mar... Er, Candyman, where if you say his name five times, he shows up with his hook for a hand and will kill whomever called his name.

I've always had an interest in Urban Myths and and assorted folklore (as well as regular myths and mythology), so this was sort of right up my alley (there's a pun in there involving "alleys" and urban settings, but I'm just too tired to think of it right now).  I also find the shared storytelling that develops into a mythological continuity with many different people working together as a sort of shared hive-mind.

For example, much of the Lovecraftian Mythology was a sort of open-source story, picked up by August Derleth and Brian Lumley's "Titus Crow" series, for example.  You can also see it turbo-charged on the Internet and see it form right before our eyes: Slender Man, Zalgo, and other Creepypasta creations; before long, what was a brief story builds up an elaborate backstory, with one person adding something over here, and another adding a story thread over there, so it becomes a shared myth.

Hmmm, btw, how many times did I say "Candyman" in this post?  Three?  Four?  I think I should probably say it one more time juusssstttttt to be sure.  "Candyma--..."

* * *

STEP ONE:  The scrawled pencils, done on 8-1/2" x 11" toned cardstock with a black colored pencil.

* * *

STEP TWO:  Here's the halfway point, give-or-take, with the first pass with gouache/watercolor.

* * *

STEP THREE:  All done.  I figured I should throw in some bees here and there--after all, it was part of the motif.  So, I wanted plenty of bees, but not so many as to block out the rib cage I had painted.

* * *

Done with Watercolor/Gouache on 8-1/2" x 11" toned cardstock.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment