Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Day 13: They Live (1988) - 31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020

31 Days of HELL-O-Ween 2020
They Live (1988)

It's the scariest thing this Halloween: The dreaded KAREN!  She is displeased with something, and she wants to talk to your manager about it!  Well, actually, it's another John Carpenter movie, "They Live" (1988).  Another one of my favorite Satiric Sci-Fi/Horror movies from the 80's (right up there with John Carpenter's "The Thing").

Second only to the line "I've come to kick ass and chew bubble gum and I'm all out of bubble gum", IMHO, is "I've got one that can see!"  One of the things that always bothers me about the scene is I want to tell Rowdy Roddy "You probably don't wanna explain to the aliens how you can see them, as well as how you can see them when you wear these sunglasses."  You're kinda giving up the game, methinks.  That aside, I still think the movie is a great send up of Consumerism.

(Hmmm, for some reason this picture uploads as a bit on the dark side...  It displays normally in Photoshop, etc., so that's strange.  Hmmm, if you click to enlarge it, it seems normal, so that's even stranger...)

* * *

STEP ONE:  These are the quick pencils done on 8-1/2" x 11" toned cardstock.

* * *

STEP TWO:  Here is the first pass with gouache (opaque watercolor).  It just wasn't working out the way I wanted (I dunno, the paint just wasn't sticking to the paper quite right, or wasn't quite opaque enough for this session), so out of frustration, I took the scan and decided to do some digital overlay.

* * *

STEP THREE:  As I thought the digital painting for "The Blob" turned out OK, I figured I'd use ArtStudio Pro in the iPad again... Y'know, just to tempt fate, again.  I dropped all the color info and started painting digitally over the gouache painting and what you see is what you get.  Well, aside from the part where it uploaded a little dark.  Maybe it's something which will correct itself, or some sort of bug in the compression.  The world may never know.

On to the next one!

* * *

Done traditionally with gouache/watercolor, then digitally in ArtStudio Pro on an iPad Pro. 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment